Monday, February 1, 2010

Pancetta Wrapped Quail with Rosemary

George's Dish:

One of my favorite food magazines is "La Cucina Italiana". I often pick one up standing in the checkout line when I need some recipe inspiration. The December 2009 issue had a number of recipes that I wanted to try... the Pancetta Wrapped Quail recipe seemed to be a good one to go with old Zins.

Here's the Recipe link:
Pancetta Wrapped Quail









Quail ready for the oven




And when done...


I liked the recipe and would make again. It's not too much work and looks and tasted great!



The quail was purchased at Dittmers meats in Los Altos. $10 for 4 semi-boned quail, frozen.



I followed the recipe, but next time I think that I would baste the quail with the juices periodically during cooking.



I served the quail on a bed of mache' greens dressed with strawberry balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. The greens with the slightly sweet strawberry vinegar was a nice flavor complement to the quail and bacon.



This dish seemed to go well with all the wines. In fact, only the spicy shrimp dish needed a powerful Zin to stand up to the dish like the Turley or the Ridge blend.

No comments:

Post a Comment